6.09.2009

butterfly in knots



Seeing a wonderful project involving french knots, I asked myself just how hard can it be to embroider a 'few' french knots!? Keep in mind that I had to get this done in about a week.
.
Ha.



And after about the billionth french knot -- and yes, I saw them in my sleep -- I swore I would never make another french knot. Ever. Who knew making these things could take soooooooo long! Phew.
~
Anyway. I do love french knots and got the delightful pattern from this book:

I used a little bit of a different color scheme -- love the periwinkles! Then raided my stash for some sort of complimentary fabric for the border. And finished it with machine quilting in a pearly meandering.




I purchased a ornate candle holder from the Dollar Store and had my husband clip off the candle
part of it and was left with this whimsical hangar. Because the candle holder was a dark burnished color, I aged it all vintage-y looking with white paint dabbed on with a sponge.

Whimsical and blissful. Even if the french knots were almost the death of me.....

17 comments:

Tudy said...

How beautiful. I can not imagin doing that many french knots and I do love to do them too.

Great work.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Oh my gosh, I think this is the most beautiful piece I've ever seen. Your work is perfection. I think with all those French knots, you should at least get a free trip to Paris.
au revoir,
~Karen~

willywagtail said...

You have done a spectacular job with these knots. They look very cosy all nicely squashed in together. cherrie

Cheryl said...

That is just beautiful! I love the texture that all the knots make. They remind me of a wool rug, but tiny and round! Fantastic work.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Okay...I can see where you would be french knotted to death, but it really is unique and beautiful. How neat, the texture it brought to this piece. You did a great job stippling it, really pretty. I love the entire piece. Beautiful!!!

Evelyn said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Sometimes I can´t speak in good English but now I can´t find word in English nor in Spanish... just beautiful and wonderful. Hi from Spain.

RG said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Dawn!!!! it is wonderful...you have excelled yourself!!

Unknown said...

I think that I would be seeing french knots in my sleep too! But I love it, very pretty and sweet!

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh how pretty! I love it, even if all those french knots drove you mad:)
Kris

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Dawn! Such beauty - even if you had to do a billion french knots, hahaha. I love the effect. You always do such neat projects.... thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Knot Garden said...

Amazing work. I've seen Jacobean style crewel embroideries where elements of the design were filled in with French knots, and I always loved the look. I'm not surprised you were seeing knots in your sleep! This is a really beautiful piece and perfect for summer. The hanger suits it perfectly.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I remember candlewicking! I don't think I was ever very good at making french knots. Maybe I should try again. All your work was definitly worth it, this piece turned out beautifully! Have a nice weekend! Twyla

iru said...

so very very beautiful. everything in your blog is=)

aida said...

OMG...that's is totally awesome ..beautiful

Rose said...

Wow! That's a lot of knots! I love doing them after being inspired by my MIL.

Anonymous said...

The butterfly is so beautiful! Impressive work.