5.15.2008

pretty ladies and their parasols

' I always think of an assortment of fabrics as a flower garden. As you see them in the store, they are buds with the promise of beauty. Each one expresses texture and color; but its full beauty flowers only when it is made up into the kind of garment for which it was designed, in a pattern keyed to that particular fabric.'---Constance Talbot, The Complete Book of Sewing 1943
I just recently purchased this quilt and already found it being used as the bedspread on our daughter's bed. Hmmm. She, too loves the beauty of these ladies and their parasols.
I love the patience and effort that went into dressing these ladies with the carefully chosen fabrics. A whole wardrobe of vintage garments adorning these ladies.....
And then using the black thread to embroider around each flower, parasol, bonnet, and dress...I have to wonder about the woman that made this quilt and what she thought as she carefully chose each fabric to dress each lady and how much time went into the sewing of each block. *Sigh*

So, so yummy. I think my heart smiles when I see each of these individual ladies~and now I know my daughter shares that same appreciation.




11 comments:

Knot Garden said...

I think there is something so special about everyday textiles and artwork which were very typical of their time. It's the kind of quilt you could stare at for hours admiring the fabrics and handwork. You were so lucky to find that!

jacquie said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. Now this should be in a magazine! Look at those fabrics and all the handwork! Please tell me you didn't find this at a thrift store...I'll just die! You are lucky to have it. I love how you think about the maker and wonder about her.

Adrienne said...

What a wonderful quilt you found! It reminds me of a pattern I have had for years but never made. I was going to make it for my daughter when she was young. Now she's grown and I don't know if I'll make it or not. ~Adrienne~

QuiltedSimple said...

What a find!!! It looks to be in very, very good shape. And it's perfect for your daughter's room. You were lucky to find it.

Kris

meggie said...

What a delightful quilt. Like you, I love each individual lady!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I think it is great your daughter appreciates such rare finds.

Sally said...

The fabrics and the handwork are lovely. Vintage is not my style but I can still appreciate the workmanship and the overall picture. Thanks for sharing this lovely piece of work with us. And thanks for the great comment on my blog. It's always heartwarming to know that other folks find one even remotely interesting. I sure do love your blog!

Mar said...

this quilt is amazing, what a lucky find. How sweet that your daughter appreciates it too.

Wendy said...

That's a fantastic find. My MIL has a pile of these blocks started by her grandma and several generations have worked on this ladies. She's been struggling to find a way to finish it. I'll be showing her your gorgeous quilt. Lots of love went into that quilt.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love your parasol ladies!

zees5 said...

I have been looking for one of these quilts. I just found your blog and I love it. I love your header too (: