5.28.2008

humphrey

We have a beautiful hummingbird that the kids have named 'Humphrey' and we see him flit here and there throughout our trees. Unfortunately, every time I get ready to take a pic of him, he seems to disappear. Only to reappear in our crabapple tree blossoms or sipping his sweet nectar from our hummingbird feeder. So I decided to get a lasting impression of him by doing an applique quilt block.
By doing a sketch on theme paper of the hummingbird & flowers, I then hand-appliqued it by following her wonderful technique.
I have visions of this becoming a fabulous family quilt with different blocks showing the different loves of our family. Each block would depict something we all like: music, piano, violin, purses, baseball, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, purses, flowers, golden retrievers, purses, kitties, pine trees, peonies, purses, etc.....

But sometimes what I picture in my head is far different from what I can actually accomplish. High hopes don't necessarily = reality in Dawn's world.

So for now, I'll finish the curlique embroidery on these pretend flowers and start picturing what the next block might look like.



11 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Simply marvelous. What a wonderful idea, a memory quilt.

SewAmy said...

Love your applique hummingburd. I just love applique. and the embroidery. I can't wait to see the next block.

QuiltedSimple said...

Great applique and embroidery. It looks fantastic - can't wait to see the next blocks...
Kris

Dandelion Quilts said...

BEAUTIFUL! I am sure it will all come together, you always seem to have such a vision.

Jenna said...

Perfectly beautiful! You made up this applique yourself? It's beautiful. I can only imagine how wonderful a whole quilt might look.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Hi Dawn - I love Humphrey the Hummingbird! I started an applique wallhanging several years ago that had a hummingbird on it. I still haven't finished it because the hummingbird tail was not cooperating with me! Maybe I'll get it out soon and try to finish it. And your idea for doing a family quilt is a great one. I'll look forward to seeing other blocks.

Knot Garden said...

That is so pretty. I love the stitching on the hummingbird's wings. You have a lot of artistic talent!

Cathie said...

Hi Dawn! I love the idea of a quilt to showcase the family interests! You're obviously really good at applique and that seems to me like a wonderful way to put those skills to use.

Don't forget to put in a block or two about purses. *grin*

meggie said...

Fantastic! Love that bird!

Unknown said...

actually his name is ray, not humphrey

Dawn said...

Ha! You are a funny, little girl, Miss Tabitha! *grin*